Terry's Reviews > Fragment

Fragment by Warren Fahy

Jun 29, 09

Read in June, 2009

With sagging ratings, the ocean exploration reality show SeaLife desperately needs a boost before the network cuts their one-year voyage short. What could be better than answering a distress call on a mysterious island? Surrounded by a 700 ft cliff wall, Henders Island is largely inaccessible and its distance from the shipping lanes means very few seafarers have even seen it. But when a live broadcast of the landing shows the cast of the SeaLife eaten alive by the island’s flora and fauna, the show is condemned as a hoax.

Fortunately for readers, Henders Island is not a hoax. The two-mile wide island contains an ecosystem which has been isolated for hundreds of millions of years – with the resulting evolutionary divergence creating life which might as well be alien. Fearing that Henders Island might be weaponized, the president blockades the island and calls on an elite science team to explore it.

What follows is a combination of scientific exploration and adventure which reads more like a missing Michael Crichton book than a debut novel. Warren Fahy handles scientific debate and thrilling chase sequences equally well, while giving us a cast of interesting characters. His greatest accomplishment, though, is bringing fresh ideas to a concept which stretches back to Jules Verne.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fragment.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Warren (new) - added it

Warren Fahy Thanks for reading it, Terry. If you want to read the sequel, please add it to your to-read list. Artistic differences have led me to seek another publisher for it. Your interest would help. Thanks, Warren Fahy.

Terry Hey Warren, I've already bought it but haven't had a chance to start it yet. I will soon!

message 3: by Warren (new) - added it

Warren Fahy Whenever you do. :)

Thanks.

Warren Fahy

Bill1971 How did you get a copy? The first book was amazing.

Terry Warren released a self-published/ebook version that was available on Amazon briefly. I believe a publisher has since acquired this and it should be released soon(ish).