Kendal's Reviews > The Magus

The Magus by John Fowles

Nov 18, 2011

did not like it
Read in February, 2005

A friend of mine gave me this book, because it was his favorite book ever. I read and read and read, and read and read and read some more, waiting for it to become something I could imagine being a person's favorite book. It never happened. Maybe if I were to read it today, it would make more sense to me.

I like the movie Wicker Man quite a bit. The Magus and Wicker Man have some things in common, but I don't remember what. This may be the least intelligent review of the Magus ever. Which could indicate my reasons for disliking the book. It is an intelligent book, full of its own sense of intelligence, and it comes across like an exclusive country club.

Also it's been some years since I read it.

How has it changed me though? I bought two essential oils after reading The Magus; Rose and Lily. For a while I wore one drop of each on each wrist, and felt rather magical. Then I had to switch to wearing cucumber oil because I had this blushing problem, and I thought that thinking "I am as cool as a cucumber" might help escape the heat from my face, but it didn't so much work.

Actually, I just remembered that it wasn't the book, The Magus, that inspired me to wear rose and lily oil. It was later, when I tried to learn how to read Tarot cards.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magus.

Chris Amies I suppose The Wicker Man and The Magus both concern naive outsiders being drawn into an inexplicable situation which will lead to their destruction. Although the distinction is that The Wicker Man actually goes through with it, makes good the threat. The Magus extends the 'game' to be the author making fun of the reader.