Thomas DeWolf's Reviews > My First White Friend: Confessions on Race, Love and Forgiveness

My First White Friend by Patricia Raybon

Jun 28, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction, memoir

I heard about this book when I was on the journey with my nine cousins that resulted in my own book, Inheriting the Trade, and the film Traces of the Trade. It's about a woman of color who made the choice to stop hating white people. Not only was this a daring choice for her to make, writing this memoir about it bared her soul (which is a frightening act) and opened this white man's eyes to the possibility that there was a lot I may have been missing in my relationships with people of color. I could not put this book down. The subtitle is "Confessions on Race, Love, and Forgiveness." This is an incredibly honest and hopeful book and I'm blessed to have read it. My blessings were multiplied when I had the good fortune to meet Patricia Raybon. She's the genuine article. Risky, brave, honest, and so very human... just like her book.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My First White Friend.