Caroline's Reviews > Strokes of Genius: Federer, Nadal, and the Greatest Match Ever Played

Strokes of Genius by L. Jon Wertheim

F_50x66
Jun 28, 09

Read in June, 2009

Admittedly, this is a biased review as any book about tennis is a great read. The only reason I give it four stars instead of five is that Nadal won that match, and this book being non-fiction couldn't change that. I loved the background stories around the match and the descriptions of what was happening in and around the match.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strokes of Genius.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bernard (new)

Bernard So because Nadal won the match you gave it a four instead of a five? This is why Roger Federer fan annoy me - they can't gracefully accept his losses. Rate the book on its own merits as a book, not on the outcome of the match it is describing.

That said your review was helpful - I have been meaning to buy this book and this just convinced me to do it today.

Long live Rafa!! :-)

Caroline Bernard wrote: "So because Nadal won the match you gave it a four instead of a five? This is why Roger Federer fan annoy me - they can't gracefully accept his losses. Rate the book on its own merits as a book, not..."

To lament losing the greatest match ever played is like being whimsical in the envy of youth and what could have been. Truth be told it was a good read; but doesn't rank a five star to me. I was having fun with my comments; but it seems I've hit a nerve with an overwrought Nadal fan. To quote Becker (as Nadal did after his french open loss) "I lost a tennis match. Nobody died."