Elizabeth K.'s Reviews > Alvin Ho: Allergic to Girls, School, and Other Scary Things

Alvin Ho by Lenore Look

Jun 28, 09

bookshelves: 2009-new-reads
Read in January, 2009, read count: 1

Eh, this was passable, I guess. Second grader Alvin Ho is nervous and wary of ... well, the things in the title as well as his piano teacher, his therapist, and horror movies. There were a few cute episodes, but for the most part, I didn't get what was supposed to be clever. With something like the Ramona books, I always get a kick out of Ramona's weird misconceptions, and sometimes I even have to figure them out, and when I do, I'm impressed with how they are concurrently from out of left field but also very believable as something a kid might think. Come on, I still laugh and laugh like a maniac over the dawnserly light. Alvin Ho's various misunderstandings seemed tiresome and forced to me. By the end of the book, I was thinking that what Alvin Ho needs is a spanking.

Grade: C+
Recommended: It is a book that feels swift, and might be good for new chapter book readers because it's so briskly paced (and would be especially good for parehts at that point where you're encouraging your child to read out loud to you). If you're not actually a kid getting started with chapter books, you don't need to read this at all.
(2009/7)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alvin Ho.