Mark's Reviews > A Civil Campaign

Sep 13, 2007

bookshelves: sciencefiction
Recommended for: anyone
Read in October, 2007

The Miles Vorkosigan series is one of the best in science fiction. This is not "hard" science fiction, though...so don't expect scientifically accurate explanations of faster than light travel.

There are also no aliens in this universe, only genetically altered strains of human beings.

Miles is a unique hero in that he is a "little person", a dwarf. His physical body was damaged in-utero by a poison gas attack on his mother, a countess, during a revolutionary war on his home planet of Barrayar.

Miles wears many hats throughout this excellent series of books: Mercenary commander, spy, diplomat, and detective. In this one, he wears a new hat: that of a love-struck romeo.

In the previous book, called "Komarr", Miles met and fell in love with Ekaterin Vorsoisson, a recent widow.

In this book, Miles sets out to win the heart of Ekaterin by any means necessary. He treats it like a military mission, which ends up exploding in his face.

Subplots abound with Mile's brother Mark also trying to win the love of his life, a woman surgically changing her gender in order to become a member of the ruling council of counts, and a very amusing subplot involving creatures called "butter bugs".

This book is full of good humor about falling in love and how screwed up the whole process of getting together is. Often, it is our own insecurities and hang ups that get in our way, as well as society's concept of what is proper and what isn't. Love isn't easy or simple, but it's worth fighting for. That's pretty much the theme of the book.

The good thing about the Miles Vorkosigan series is that it's pretty much standalone, so you can read a book, leave the series for a couple of other good reads, and then return to read the next book in the series.

The books of the series, in their chronological order, can be found here.

I suggest you start with "Shards of Honor".

If you're looking for some hard scientific sci-fi, then I don't think this will be your cup of tea. If you're looking for literate science fiction with intriguing characters, you can't go wrong with Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Civil Campaign.

02/04/2016 marked as: read

Ericwilliams I love your review, but you've made a big mistake. Mark is not in love with Count Dono Vorrutyer (Mark is in love with Kareen Koudelka) It is Kareen's sister Olivia Koudelka who admits to and finally weds Lord (formerly Lady) Dono/Donna Voruttyer. Kareen is just judiciously in "by option" in love/partnership/we'll see relationship with Mark the clone Vorkosigan. In any case. One of my favorite books.

message 2: by Mark (last edited Jan 24, 2011 12:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark Actually, I think you are the unwitting victim of my terrible grammar and punctuation. I was listing the various subplots in the novel of which the Mark subplot and the Dono Vorrutyer subplot are two.

Ericwilliams that makes sense. sorry for the "correction". again, great review.