Randy Lander's Reviews > Eberron Campaign Setting

Eberron Campaign Setting by Keith Baker

Jun 28, 09

bookshelves: gaming, eberron

I've played D&D for (gulp) about 25 years now, and I've seen any number of worlds and settings for the game. I can say, with no doubt in my mind, that Eberron is my favorite.

Keith Baker's world of noir/pulp/fantasy, described in a nutshell as "Indiana Jones meets Lord of the Rings" was the home of my longest-running D&D 3.5 campaign, and with Eberron 4E coming up, that campaign is about to be restarted. I've run several different groups through several different adventures, and there are still elements of the world that I've barely scratched the surface of.

What few gripes I have about this book (the halflings and gnomes aren't given rules differences to match up with their campaign-specific roles) are few and far between. But as a guidebook to Eberron, this is immensely useful, even for someone about to run the 4E game, for whom the rules info isn't useful.

The several page overview of each nation, the look at various organizations, the history, the suggestions on running an Eberron campaign and giving it the right flavor, these are all tremendously useful tools. And of course, it's gorgeous to look at, with great art and maps.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eberron Campaign Setting.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Daniel A. I used to follow Randy's reviews and posts on rec.arts.comics.reviews, .marvel.xbooks, and .dc.lsh back in the 1990s, and it's good to see he feels about Eberron roughly the same way I do. :-)