Thomas's Reviews > Water for Elephants

Sep 10, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: adult-fiction, romance, historical-fiction
Read in September, 2009

Great setting - loved the American circus atmosphere carried through the novel. I didn't feel for the characters though, and thus didn't enjoy the story. The plot seemed forced at points, almost verging on melodrama - maybe that was the characters' fault, still, I was left disappointed by this one.

I wrote a whopping review for this book a couple of years ago and decided that it was horrible, so I changed it to this concise little summary of my original thoughts. Sorry to everyone who liked my earlier review, but really, it made no sense.

Want to read more of my writing? Follow me here.
9 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Water for Elephants.

09/07/2009 page 111

message 1: by Moonreader (new)

Moonreader
National Novel Writing Month! What do you think so far?

Marisa I'm surprised since we seem to agree on a lot of books! I LOVED it, but one of the things that really made it for me was listening to the audio book. The actors were quite good and instantaneously made me feel like I knew them.

Thomas Sorry to hear that, Marisa. :( I just felt that the characters' relationships to one another had a weird forced and melodramatic quality to them. From what I remember, I recall myself thinking "okay, I know this is supposed to make my heart ache, but..." for a lot of the novel. However, none of us can agree n all our favorite books, or lit would get boring. Glad you enjoyed the story and listening to the audiobook!

Marisa No need to apologize, there will always be books that people disagree on! I just found it interesting. I can completely relate, I certainly have had my own books where I just didn't feel like the characters and I had anything in common.