Barbara's Reviews > No One Belongs Here More Than You

No One Belongs Here More Than You by Miranda July

Oct 12, 07

bookshelves: fiction, library
Recommended for: self-important hipsters

After hearing so many good things about this book, I was disappointed to find that it was actually pretty awful. The characters- mostly women- are just so unbelievable. Unbelievable in the sense that they don't seem like real people that the rest of us know. Maybe it's just my background that I couldn't identify with these characters and thus get into the stories. I prefer a combination of good character development and plot usually. This had relatively no character development- they were weird, detached people to begin with and that they stayed. Or maybe it's the fact that I'm a real person and prefer to read about characters who I can even relate to in the most minor way. Aside from one or two stories that seemed to include characters who lived on planet earth with the rest of us, the other stories were incredibly infuriating. Who falls asleep when someone else is having a seizure?

She does manage to bring forth a great deal of emotion in her stories, great job Ms. July. But you know, there are authors out there who can bring out emotional content and also write about people who in some way resemble human beings in their thoughts and choices. Tied to the loneliness and sadness I felt reading these stories was also a great deal of annoyance at these characters who were just too dull and strange to be real.

I should thank Kevin for advising me not to buy a book of short stories by a new author unless I was sure I loved it. What a waste that would've been.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No One Belongs Here More Than You.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Zarah Butcher-McGunnigle So what if the characters are a bit unbelievable? That's the whole pleasure of the book. And the stories are not presented as completely mimetic, 100% realism, we know that right from the start. Not being able to identify with characters doesn't mean you can't enjoy the book.

Barbara Well, it apparently meant that for me, and, frankly, I didn't find any pleasure in the book. I thought I might, but I didn't.