Jenny's Reviews > Graceling

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

Apr 30, 11

bookshelves: young-adult-teen, fantasy, romance, series
Read from April 14 to 23, 2011, read count: 1

I really liked this story. It had an interesting premise and well developed characters. Nothing really gave me pause, which I liked, although there were a few parts that were a little hard to picture, and the "traveling" section went on a little too long, as well as the whole "defining the relationship" between Kat and Po.

I can honestly say though that there were really only two parts that bugged me...(number 2 contains a spoiler)
1) the sex scene...I am not sure why though because it wasn't graphic except in the sense that she talks about pain and blook (which I think is good in a way...more realistic than the romantic "first times" that most books have). I think that it bothered me because without that one spot, this book would be appropriate for a much wider audience.
2) The death of Lec...it had to happen at some point, the entire book sort of leads up to it, and then it is over in a heartbeat. It almost seemed like the author just used it as a catalyst to move to the next part of the story, but to me, it was just too sudden.

Overall, I liked the story and the characters, and although it was slightly predictable in places, there were some twists I didn't expect as well.

I listened to this book in the car, and it was a full cast audio which I really liked. There was even music in places, which was a little weird at first, but I grew to like it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Graceling.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cydnie (new)

Cydnie Oh, Grammar Girl...what's "blook"?

Jenny Whoops! I meant "blood" which sometimes makes me feel like "blook" :S