Elizabeth's Reviews > Blonde

F 50x66
Jun 28, 2009

bookshelves: currently-reading
Read in June, 2009 — I own a copy

This is my nighttime reading book because it is just to heavy to carry around all day, but it is everything an Oates novel should be. It is a fictionalized biography of Marilyn Monroe, starting from her childhood and absent parents to her demise some decades later. It is compelling and moving and full of that stunning Oates prose that I have become completely addicted to. She can take you right through to a character's inner thoughts and feelings, instantly binding you to humanity. The novel opens with a personification of Death worthy of Emily Dickinson: "There came Death hurtling along the Boulevard in waning sepia light. There came Death flying as in a children's cartoon on a heavy unadorned messenger's bicycle. The came Death unerring. Death not to be dissuaded. Death in a hurry. Death furiously peddling.....From Death's hand I accepted the gift". Splendid. This novel will most likely take me the entire summer to finish, and I know I will be enjoying every minute of it. And I'm not even a big Marilyn Monroe fan, but tragic figures are touching and endearing. I will keep you posted!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blonde.

06/28/2009 page 27