Lindsay's Reviews > Stranger Things Happen

Stranger Things Happen by Kelly Link

205963
Apr 02, 15

bookshelves: shortstories-essays, fiction, sff, adult
Read in July, 2009

I am sorry. I feel guilty. I feel like I've cheated on a boyfriend. I got Pretty Monsters a while ago, but wasn't totally thrilled and decided to backtrack. Start from the beginning. I was so very excited to read Stranger Things Happen because I have faith I will adore Kelly Link, but it ended up I just didn't give it the attention it needed. I loved it as I was reading it, some passages made me sigh and hug the book close to my chest, but at the end of nearly each story I felt dissatisfied...and not in the good way stories sometimes leave you. But my real problem--I didn't take the time to go back and read over the story again to let it thoroughly gel, and I think her stories require just that. They are so surreal, so dreamlike, where all this odd stuff just keeps popping up, and you wake up all of a sudden, fuzzy-headed and left to put together the pieces enough so your friends will get a kick out of it when you try to translate it to them. I do not have the patience for that right now--between birthday shenanigans, gearing up for a California blitzkrieg, and buzzing over a library job, I need instant gratification. It's not you, it's me.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stranger Things Happen.