Sarah's Reviews > American Gods

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Nov 29, 09

bookshelves: fiction, fantasy
Read in November, 2009

I finally decided to try Gaiman’s adult fiction, and I’m glad I did. The intricacy of the characters and all their stories are a complicated web that you spend most of the book feeling lost in, but I was so caught up in the individual scenes that I was content to just go with the flow and find out what was happening right along with Shadow. The idea of the gods of yesterday being replaced by those of technology and modernization is not necessarily new, but what sets American Gods apart is Gaiman’s writing ability. His style is unique, so I’m sure it’s not for everyone, but he has quickly become one of my favorite authors. The one downside to the book was the amount of lore woven throughout was a bit overwhelming given my lack of knowledge in that area. This didn’t mean I couldn’t still enjoy the story, though. I just had to read slower and with more attention to detail than I usually do. I realize I’m not saying a whole lot in regards to what the story is actually about, but this isn’t exactly a story that lends itself to synopsis. The magic of the story is truly in Gaiman’s writing, which can’t be pared down into a nice little snippet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Gods.