Anna's Reviews > This Is Just to Say: Poems of Apology and Forgiveness

Jun 27, 2009

bookshelves: poetry, read-in-2009, young-adult
Recommended to Anna by: Natalie Warden
Read in July, 2009

I love this book! I love the poems. I love the illustrations. I love the idea.

But the only way it could get 5 stars is if it was actually done by kids. It was very sneaky of the author never to mention anywhere that the story was MADE UP! Only on the back flap does it say that she got the idea to make up a book of poems about a made up class. I thought it was definitely not made very clear that these poems were NOT written by kids.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Is Just to Say.

message 1: by mia (new) - rated it 3 stars

mia i would have adored this book if it had been true. if children had actually written these apology poems like it leads you to believe. fictitious lies! ah, well, it disappointed me, anyway. the art work is adorable, however.

Anna I skimmed it but I want to actually read it. Another sixth grade teacher that I work with had the kids read the poems and then they had to write their own apology poem. I thought that was a cute idea!

Anna Now that I read it, I totally hear ya!

message 4: by mia (new) - rated it 3 stars

mia this is the reason i couldn't find a true love for it. for awhile i believed in it. i wanted to believe! but i still think you should definitely do the idea you had with your kids. i'd like to read some of their poems if you do.

Anna We did this awesome non-poetry project at the end of the year where the kids came up with a sea monster (it was tied to our field trip, our penguin unit, and our readings about sea monsters). That was hilarious! The pages were really awesome and we put together a book for each homeroom. I kept them because they are fantastic! They're stuck in my classroom closet now but maybe I'll take some pictures of them in September and I'll e-mail them to you. Definitely really neat stuff. I love it when kids have a tangible finished product that looks like something regular people would want to pick up and read!