Sofia's Reviews > Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett

Jul 02, 09

bookshelves: fantasy, humor
Recommended for: Neil Gaiman / Terry Pratchett fans; Anyone with a sense of humour
Read in July, 2009

I'm a huge fan both of Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, so I was really looking forward to reading this book. Well, it certainly didn't disappoint - it was funny, witty, satirical without being cruel, and very entertaining.

It's a story about the end of the world, as predicted in the Bible, and features all the characters you might expect from the Apocalypse. Only they're not exactly what you'd expect (I specially liked the portrayal of the Four Horsemen and the Antichrist's dog). You have an angel and a demon who have developed a friendship and have spent so much time with Humanity that they have come to love it even with all its faults, and therefore don't really want the world to end. They are easily the best characters, but there's a myriad of others. I won't get into their descriptions here; it's best to read the book and discover the roles everyone takes.

All in all, I enjoyed this book, even if it does show painfully that it was written a long time ago (some of the jokes might have been fresh back then but have since been overused; also, the technology has since evolved, how shall I put it, immensely). But it's still funny and raises some very interesting points, so I recommend it.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Omens.

06/27/2009 page 25