Libby Ames's Reviews > Nation

Nation by Terry Pratchett

Jan 27, 10

bookshelves: audio-book, young-adult-fiction, contemporary, for-my-boys, girl-power
Recommended for: Scotty--I think you and I both relate to Mao (and Daphne for that matter)
Read in January, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 2

I just reread this book to prepare for book group and I think it is my favorite book ever! I filled up three pages of quotable lines and profound thoughts as well as funny insights.

This time through, I especially liked Pratchett's insights into the roles of men and women and how they compliment one another. There is great significance to the "Women's Place" and all they do to make life more enjoyable.

Another gift in Pratchett's writing is his poetic way of describing feelings and reactions to difficult circumstances. He says what I've been feeling, but never been able to describe.

Terry Pratchett has a gift for telling intriguing (and sometimes absurd) stories, creating admirable and genuine characters, while making profound statements about human nature. I've enjoyed his other books, but this one was my favorite by far.

Nation is a story about rebuilding a civilization after a tsunami hits a small island and wipes out almost the entire population. The only people remaining are a native boy (caught in the middle of the island's traditional voyage from boy to man) and a young British girl (the only survivor of a shipwreck). Through the experiences of Mao and Daphne, as well as the others who gradually make their way to the island, Pratchett reveals the doubting and raging that come in the wake of catastrophe as well as the growing and becoming.

I appreciate Pratchett's humor, but I also appreciate his willingness to look at difficult subjects without making preachy statements or encouraging atheism. When hard things happen, it is normal to feel anger against God (or the gods, whichever the case may be). However, it is the action we take in the face of those situations that truly forms our character. Mao and Daphne both forge admirable characters as they rebuild the 'Nation.'

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nation.

Lisa If you've given five stars, it's on my list!

Libby Ames Oh, good. I need someone who knows me well to read it and discuss it with me. I think you'll enjoy it.