Kayeb's Reviews > The Art of Detection

The Art of Detection by Laurie R. King

F_50x66
Jun 26, 09

Read in June, 2009

While not to my benefit to read #5 before 2, 3 and 4, I didn't have the time at the library to sort thru the publication dates, so I went from the first Kate book to this one...from Lee being shot to aleady being up and walking and missed the having of the kiddo...but that;s ok........ I have read this series also, so will pick it up. Interestingly, this is the one where kate runs into the Holmes fanatic, who is murdered and a chunk of the book is a story that perhaps was written about holmes in San Fran. I am finding that I truly do enjoy the Mary Holmes series better, but still find it intriguing how the style of writing changes etc....tho there is a common knowledge base that runs thru. I keep wondering if the 2 series were run thru the porgrams that determine cadence and word usage etc to help determine authorship!

Another partnership that is fun between she and partner Al Hawkin.......himself now in a relationship with a person he met in teh first book. It is also intriguing to me how that did not take away from teh story for me the way the intro of a romantic relationship in The Trophy Exchange did. Some, I think is that king is a better author and addresses relationships much more richly!

[close:] In this thrilling new crime novel that ingeniously bridges Laurie R. King's Edgar and Creasey Awards' winning Kate Martinelli series and her bestselling series starring Mary Russell, San Francisco homicide detective Kate Martinelli crosses paths with Sherlock Holmes in a spellbinding dual mystery that could come only from the intelligent, witty, and complex mind of New York Times bestselling author Laurie R. King.

Kate Martinelli has seen her share of peculiar things as a San Francisco cop, but never anything quite like this: an ornate Victorian sitting room straight out of a Sherlock Holmes story complete with violin, tobacco-filled Persian slipper, and gunshots in the wallpaper that spell out the initials of the late queen.

Philip Gilbert was a true Holmes fanatic, from his antiquated décor to his vintage wardrobe. And no mere fan of fiction's great detective, but a leading expert with a collection of priceless memorabilia; a collection some would kill for.

And perhaps someone did: In his collection is a century-old manuscript purportedly written by Holmes himself; a manuscript that eerily echoes details of Gilbert's own murder.

Now, with the help of her partner, Al Hawkin, Kate must follow the convoluted trail of a killer;one who may have trained at the feet of the greatest mind of all times. [close:]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Detection.