Angela Nova's Reviews > Before the Chop: LA Weekly Articles 2011-2012

20215350
Dec 16, 13

bookshelves: must-reads
Read from May 10 to November 17, 2013

Before the Chop is a wonderfully informative collection of unedited LA Weekly articles written by Henry Rollins from February 4, 2011 to December 13, 2012. Readers will get a glimpse of the writer’s thoughts on everything from Rick Perry (governor of Texas) to Pussy Riot. Rollins writes from places all over the world. The beginning of each article immediately informs us of the date it was published and where it was written. It was almost like reading somebody's diary. Where most folks would expect to find an index, they will find an LA Weekly feature,an interview with Nick Cave dated November 25, 2010. What a bonus!

I first picked up this book in May of 2013 and had to put it down after getting to p. 37 because I knew that I was going to need to be in the right frame of mind and needed to take my sweet time with it. In lieu of an index, I definitely took notes as I went along. I read it in three days finally finishing it this weekend and ended up with notes that not only made me chuckle but read like a bucket list.

One of the most memorable punchlines in this book:

“The sausage tastes good, but you might not want to know how it got made.” p. 41

Other memorable stuff:

“But to see and hear Rick Perry on a regular basis, why, it’s a delight! He’s like George W. Bush, but hit in the side of the head with a frying pan.” p.118

“If I were a doctor, I would prescribe that you addict yourself deeply and irrevocably to music and never, ever, seek cure outside of more music. It really is the best way to go.” p. 67

Besides music, this book also mentions several books to it's readers including A Small Corner of Hell: Dispatches from Chechnya written by a Russian journalist named Anna Politkovskaya who's been thought to have been murdered because of her writings. After reading Before the Chop, I felt more excited to live life than I did before. That being said, I think this book is a must read for fanatics of survival, music and Henry Rollins. If you don’t fall into any of those categories, you may still want to check out this book and learn something you didn’t know before.

NOTE: this book can be purchased directly from the author's website Henry Rollins/2.13.61
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before the Chop.

05/10/2013 marked as: currently-reading