Hotavio's Reviews > How Sex Works: Why We Look, Smell, Taste, Feel, and Act the Way We Do

How Sex Works by Sharon Moalem

Jul 06, 09

bookshelves: first-reads
Read in July, 2009

This is one of those occasions where I wish I could give half stars, because I really enjoyed the book more than 3 stars.

How Sex Works was a First Reads that delving into a foray that I don't typically read. If I was well versed in the science of sex, I may not have been as impressed. But I truly believe that it would be hard to make the subject boring and How Sex Works is definitely not that.

The book covers a range of facts and curiosities, starting with Health class basics and later hitting on mysteries of sex such as the female ejaculation, venereal diseases and their adaptations, the sceince of love, hermaphroditism, among other related topics. The key theme being natural selection and its role, through sex and courtship, of propogating our species. There are many interesting points brought up in the book and the author makes mention of several scientific studies, many recently in progress, to explain things that we normally just take for granted.

I particularly found the scent and its role in relationships to be interesting.

Definitely better than the 'Birds and the Bees' lecture! The book is about the right length too, so as not to get bogged down by the subject, but enough to satiate the occasional thirst for the topic.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Sex Works.

07/02/2009 page 15
5.47% "Surprised how quick this First Reads came to me (within a week). Seems to be an entertaining read." 2 comments