sisterimapoet's Reviews > The Equivoque Principle

Jun 26, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: fiction-2009
Read in October, 2009

I thought this was an enjoyable read. The fact that I judged it on it's own terms helped. I'm only vaguely familiar with the concept of penny dreadfuls and Victorian newspaper serials but with a nod to the style of these the story had a neat little pace. I liked the way each chapter left you with a cliff-hanger, it kept me reading.

I liked the way the plot wound through the book, without getting too complex at any point. Once you got used to the larger than life, and less than realistic personalities of the key characters it was easy to warm to them.

Don't read this book if you are hoping for beautiful eloquent description and subtle characterization. But if you want a fun, easy page-turner then it fits the bill. At times it reminded me of the Harry Potter books, and also of 'The End of Mr Y'.

I'm already looking forward to the sequel and seeing what Cornelius gets up to in Egypt!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Equivoque Principle.

message 1: by Darren (new) - added it

Darren Craske Thank you for taking the time to read and rate The Equivoque Principle.