L.'s Reviews > The Capture

The Capture by Kathryn Lasky

Jun 25, 2009

did not like it
Read in April, 2009

I wanted to like these books, but I didn't. I trudged through three volumes before I told my daughter that we needed to find something else to read. A few points:

1. The world building is inconsistent and poorly thought out. If, in this post-human world, stone castles are little more than tumbled ruins, how would any barn have survived well enough for barn owls to associate themselves with them? And why would they anyway? The inexplicable knowledge of the owls regarding human buildings is strange compared to their complete lack of knowledge of humans themselves.

2. The narcissistic belief of owl superiority over other birds, (the "wet poopers") on the part of the owls, and the zealous reverence for owls on the part of their servile nest-maid snakes, became more and more creepy with each successive book.

3. These books could benefit from a glossary of terms and slang in the back of each. That would remove the (seeming) necessity to give up page space, better reserved for actual plot and character development, in favor of telling the reader what they already know. Just how many times does one need to be reminded what "plummels" are anyway?

4. And if I never have to read another story-derailing, non-scanning, doggerel "battle chant" again, it will be too soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Capture.

05/17/2016 marked as: read

Crysta S. i totally disagree

message 2: by Mistresshilde (last edited Jan 23, 2012 07:57PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Mistresshilde I totally agree with the rater. Kathryn Lasky is a terrible writer, perhaps on par with fellow writing failure Stephanie Meyer.

Brooke I like Twilight's battle chants!

Gabrielle Honestly, I didn't really like the books until after book 3, and rather than reading the battle chants, I skip it. There are a lot of areas where things got rather boring too. Also, I don't believe that this is a post-human world, I think they live in a non inhabited area with some ruins lying around, obviously I'm not the author and cannot be entirely sure, but that's what I think is going on with humans.

Reagan H. This may be a post-human world, but the ruins could have been that way when the humans were dominant. I do agree that the servility and reverence the nest-maid snakes bestowed upon the birds they viewed as superior was strange.

Regarding one of the comments. Stephanie Meyer and Kathryn Lasky only receive flak from illiterates who are oblivious to the resonating undercurrents.

I'm sorry you did not enjoy the books.

message 6: by David Michael (new)

David Michael These are fiction children's books and i see nothing wrong with any of them, She is an amazing writer and most likely the reason you dont like it is because you are taking everything too seriously.Just try to enjoy the book

message 7: by Ava (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ava Noelle No. Do not ruin a child's wonder of this book. They will think it is a gory, horrible story, when it is actually a wonderful tale filled with adventurous heroes and wise sidekicks!