Becca's Reviews > The Lie: A Novel

Jun 25, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: reviewed, read-in-2009, fiction, chick-lit, review-copies
Read in August, 2009

What I Liked About the Book: Wagman has some very beautifully written thoughts. I like to read passages like "But that was because I didn't know then that success teaches nothing" and "we fly with our past on our wings" and "she glared at me still reeking of that venerated air of supreme indifference that she so diligently cultivated over her whole long nasty life."

What I Did Not Like: The stream-of consciousness writing is harder to enjoy than I thought it would be. There are hardly any periods or question marks, but there are tons of what seem to me to be run on sentences, sprinkled with -- and ... and italics. I thought an ADD reader like myself would find this style likable, but instead I found it distracting and after 50 pages of it, very annoying, to be honest. Like I said, I was surprised my ADD brain did not revel in it.

"Penis Fingers": The man Ramona falls in love with is first brought to her attention because of his "penis fingers". I feel like I need a visual for this one. I can't begin to imagine anyone's fingers looking like a penis. I'm sorry, but I was just bewildered by this one. I especially needed a visual after Ramona mentions it about two dozen times. If it is so amazing, I am going to need to see what the deal is with these things. I did find some relief when Ramona realized that she was also drawn to Solomon's calmness and not just his fingers. Finally, something I can relate to.

Final Thoughts: I think that this was not a book I could really get into and thoroughly enjoy, but obviously that is just my opinion. I always recommend reading more reviews before deciding whether you want to give the book a try or not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lie.

07/30/2009 page 16