Jenny's Reviews > Prep

Jul 21, 08

bookshelves: top-ten-fiction-favorites
Read in July, 2008

after re-reading 7.08:

Sittenfeld is a genius. The voice of Lee Fiora is so poignant and so real — she is so screwed up, but Sittenfeld shows this to us perfectly, in small bites, with a background (and the perfect characters for foils) that out her screwed-up-ness crisply and in heartbreaking detail. Lee speaks from a gorgeously flawed teenage place — somewhere intensely familiar, somewhere achingly wrong about so many things — and her foibles translate so well for me. This reread (number three) felt new because this time I am in love, and that influence of being-in-love totally enhanced my reading — surprisingly it pulled me closer to Lee and reminded me, over and over, what I've learned from her, this time and all other times.

I love this book. Utterly and absolutely.

posted 12.06:

I came back to this book, revisiting an old friend, because I had a wretched experience with Sarum, by Edward Rutherfurd, of which I read 445 pages before returning it to the library unfinished because I was terminally bored. Best decision I've ever made.

Prep hits me in places I'm not entirely sure I like being hit, but I always feel better afterwards for it--catharsis at its best, I think. This was just as true through my rereading as it was the first time around. Lee's experience, and the way she relates it through her sharp, insightful, guileless first-person narration, resonates with me such in a deep way that it's actually difficult for me to talk about it; I'm much more likely to cry than to speak eloquently about this book. (This makes it a beautiful challenge to recommend at the bookstore.) This read-through had me thinking even more about college and crushes and the immediacy of everything when you're away at school. I know my tendency to be nostalgic magnifies this all for me, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I liked being poked; Prep pokes me, and the tears always feel better for having been shed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prep.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Melissa I'm going to re-read this too (in fact, I think I'm going to start a "to re-read" shelf). You have to read American Wife when it comes out! I'll be very interested to hear what you think of it!

Jenny i am wicked excited to get my hands on american wife. i will definitely let you know how it goes!