Jason's Reviews > Dragonlance Chronicles

Dragonlance Chronicles by Margaret Weis

M_50x66
Jun 25, 09

Read in September, 1999

Okay, let's start by clarifying that these books are not literature, even though there's a whole generation of Xers (Gen-Xers) who would claim otherwise because many of them were coming of age reading these novels.

I owned my copies from the time I was about 22, but never read them all the way through until I was closer to 35. They came off as pulpy, silly, cheap and badly written in many ways. The characters were beyond even decent graphic novel caliber in their exaggerated, stereotyped behavior and imagery. The plot itself was juvenile, not well structured or paced (though admittedly, basing the whole thing on an original game of D&D was, at the time, unique and courageous), and the narrative tone was horribly cliche.

Enough bashing. If you pick these books up without expecting anything great, you can easily fall in love with at least a couple of these characters. It may be precisely BECAUSE they are so badly stereotypical that you feel comfortable and happy going along on their Saturday morning adventures. The stuff on these pages is taken straight out of a long night of gaming around a table, rolling dice and chugging Dew, and for those of us now in middle age, it brings back a feeling of being a teen again, enjoying RPGs when there were no other options, no online WOW crap, nothing but you, the dice, some graph paper and your imagination. So when you can't find a bunch of other old Gygaxians to help you crack open a 30-year-old non 4.0 module, these books can take you there, so enjoy.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragonlance Chronicles.