Lisa Kay's Reviews > A Rose In Winter

A Rose In Winter by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss

Made it to 4 1/2 stars; but hero was too much of an asshat at the beginning of the book to get a full ★★★★★. Not my fav by this author (so I've only read it twice, LOL!), but still miles higher than other authors who wrote in this era.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Rose In Winter.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... I have a few books by KEW that I've picked up a friends of the library sales, but because I hear such conflicting things about her, I've never read any of them.

This is what I own -

Woodiwiss, Kathleen E. – Everlasting, Ashes in the Wind, The Flame and the Flower, (The Elusive Flame) Come Love A Stranger, A Rose in Winter, A Season Beyond a Kiss Anthology – Three eddings and a Kiss, Married at Midnight, So Worthy My Love

message 2: by Lisa Kay (last edited May 16, 2011 10:58AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay The Flame and the Flower (Birmingham #1) by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss is my all time fav by KEW. And it was written in the seventies, not the eighties as is talked about in so many threads. (Can you tell this bugs me? Yes, it does.) There was nothing "typical eighties" about it back then. It was ground breaking in 1972!!

**sigh** Rant over. :)

message 3: by Lynn (new) - added it

Lynn I read all her earlier books and loved them. She was right up there with Rosemary Rogers and I used to wait with bated breath for the release of both of their books. Ashed in the Wind, The Flame and the Flower and the Wolf and the Dove were my favorites. You really should read them.

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Is there a specific reading order you'd all recommend?

message 5: by Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (last edited May 16, 2011 12:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* If I was going to do a re-read Id start with:
Ashes in the Wind by Kathleen E. Woodiwissthen The Flame and the Flower by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss ( but then this is the 1st book)in a trilogy then Id go with A Rose In Winter by Kathleen E. Woodiwissbut no matter what
Shanna by Kathleen E. Woodiwisswas my first by this author and I know many dont care for it, but it remains my favorite :)

Lisa Kay I loved Shanna by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss!!! I ended up buying it in hardcover. Ashes in the Wind by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss is antebellum - a hard era for me to read.

Lisa Kay UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Is there a specific reading order you'd all recommend?"

I, personally, would read The Flame and the Flower (Birmingham #1) by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss, Dhes.

message 8: by Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (last edited May 16, 2011 01:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Lisa Kay wrote: "I loved Shanna by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss!!! I ended up buying it in hardcover. Ashes in the Wind by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss is antebellum - a hard era for me to read."

I have the orginial HC & paperback! I love the era of antebellum..so Ashes in The Wind it was an enjoyable one for me..I know alot of readers dont care for KEW but she was my first HR away from the Harlequins..then Rosemary Rogers..which was more..uh..deep shall we say?

message 9: by Lynn (new) - added it

Lynn OMG I forgot about Shanna......I loved that one too!

Lisa Kay One of these days I'm going to re-read Shanna. **sigh** ♥Ruark♥

SmittenKitten I need to find some time to read A Rose in Winter and Shanna!! I loved Ashes in the Wind and The Flame and the Flower. The Wolf and the Dove was good, but I did not like it nearly as much as the other too.

Tammy Walton Grant Ah, Kathleen Woodiwiss -- my first and favourite!

and it was written in the seventies, not the eighties as is talked about in so many threads. (Can you tell this bugs me? Yes, it does.) There was nothing "typical eighties" about it back then. It was ground breaking in 1972!!

EXACTLY, Lisa Kay!!!

I'm late to the party, but I would suggest reading in order that they came out, that way you can follow along with how her writing changed with the times: The Flame and the Flower first, then The Wolf and the Dove, then Shanna (my absolute fave), then Ashes, then A Rose in Winter (my other fave). Those were her very best ones, imho.

Sigh. She was the absolute best.

message 13: by Tammy (last edited May 16, 2011 08:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tammy Walton Grant Lisa Kay wrote: "**sigh** ♥Ruark♥"

You better believe it, Lisa Kay!!!

message 14: by Lisa Kay (last edited May 16, 2011 08:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay I re-read The Wolf and the Dove by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss last year. While it didn't hold me in thrall (as in eating with the book in my hand and staying up all night to finish it - there were parts I actually had to trudge through) like it did the first time I read it in the seventies, it was still great. Of course, I ♥ the medieval period. :)

Lisa Kay I concur with Tammy, Dhes! I would read them in the order written/published.

Tammy Walton Grant While it didn't hold me in thrall (as in eating with the book in my hand and staying up all night to finish it - there were parts I actually had to trudge through

That's hilarious, Lisa Kay (and just like me, as well)! I've read hers so many times I can remember dialogue and sentences, and I know what parts to skim/trudge through to get to the good stuff. ;)

Lisa Kay Yes, that is what I was doing...getting "to the good stuff"!! It was agony at times. LOL!