Lisa Kay's Reviews > The Witch and the Warrior

The Witch and the Warrior by Karyn Monk

One of the best Medieval romance books I have read. It made my cry and laugh. The main and secondary characters were wonderful and the action was steady. Great insight into the heroine's feelings of isolation. Wonderful love story.

Update: This one is on my ‘favorites’ list and now that I see Amazon has it available via Kindle I thought I would do a quick review here. I have recently re-read it and it still holds up. If you are looking for a book with a good medieval Scotland setting, this is a very good one with a twist. The beginning starts with the heroine about to be burned at the stake as a witch. Gwendolyn has endured prejudice and rejection all her life and the author does a wonderful character study of her. She is one of the strongest fragile persons in many a book. In an enjoyable Robin Hood fashion, Mad Alex saves her. Karyn Monk is such a good writer she is able to take the reader back to a time when many people were superstitious and yet manages to bring today’s issues to life, i.e. those of being ostracized and bullied. She made me cry, she made me laugh. I felt for these characters, including the secondary ones, even if the later are somewhat one-dimensional. This is the book that made Karyn Monk an auto-buy author for me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Witch and the Warrior.