Choco's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling

Do you remember when I said I will review this with my little sister if I can get her to read it?
_________________________________________

Me: Did you have any thoughts about this book before you started? Like, did you think about what kind of story it was going to be and how good or how hard the book was going to be?

Mimi: Yeah! “Philosopher’s Stone” — I thought like… like… a stone people want to take. A special stone that everyone wants because it’s the Philosopher’s Stone!

Me: Uhh… okay. Do you know anything about the Philosopher’s Stone? Before you read it, I mean?

Mimi: Yeah!

Me: *impressed* Really? How?

Mimi: Fullmetal Alchemist!

(OH DEAR GOD. I’d forgotten that she had managed to see some of FMA when I was watching it. I don’t know if that’s good or bad, but well this is what happened. WHOOPS. THAT SHOW IS NOT FOR KIDS.)

Me: Ooh… I see. Uhm… Did you know that the American version of this book isn’t called the Philosopher’s Stone, but the Sorcerer’s Stone?

Mimi: No…

Me: Do you know why?

Mimi: Why?

Me: Because they thought Americans wouldn’t know what a Philosopher’s Stone is, or that they wouldn’t understand. Do you think that’s a smart idea?

Mimi: Did J.K.Rowling do it?

Me: I don’t know. In the UK, it’s called Philosopher, but it’s just the American version.

Mimi: … that’s stupid.Screen Shot 2013-10-30 at 12.54.29 AM

Me: Heh, okay. What’s the first thing you want to tell people about this book?

Mimi: It’s about magic. And houses of wizards and witches and magic. And that… Dumbledore is the Headmaster. And there are four houses! Slytherin, Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, and Rufflepuff– I mean, Ravenclaw. I get so confused with those.

(RUFFLEPUFF OH MY GOD LJHKJALJF RUFFLEPUFF)

Just read the whole thing here, it takes too long to bring in all the doodles.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.

Quotes Choco Liked

J.K. Rowling
“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.”

J.K. Rowling
“To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.”

J.K. Rowling
“As much money and life as you could want! The two things most human beings would choose above all - the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them.”

J.K. Rowling
“It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.”

J.K. Rowling
“Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!”

J.K. Rowling
“I hope you're pleased with yourselves. We could all have been killed - or worse, expelled. Now if you don't mind, I'm going to bed.”

J.K. Rowling
“The truth." Dumbledore sighed. "It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution.”

J.K. Rowling
“What happened down in the dungeons between you and Professor Quirrell is a complete secret, so, naturally the whole school knows.”

J.K. Rowling
“You haven't got a letter on yours," George observed. "I suppose she thinks you don't forget your name. But we're not stupid-we know we're called Gred and Forge.”

J.K. Rowling
“Now, you two – this year, you behave yourselves. If I get one more owl telling me you've – you've blown up a toilet or –"
"Blown up a toilet? We've never blown up a toilet."
"Great idea though, thanks, Mum.”

J.K. Rowling
“There are some things you can't share without ending up liking each other, and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them.”

J.K. Rowling
“Don't play," said Hermione at once.
"Say you're ill," said Ron.
"Pretend to break your leg," Hermione suggested.
"Really break your leg," said Ron.”

“Hogwarts, Hogwarts, Hoggy Warty Hogwarts,
Teach us something please,
Whether we be old and bald,
Or young with scabby knees,
Our heads could do with filling
With some interesting stuff,
For now they're bare and full of air,
Dead flies and bits of fluff,
So teach us something worth knowing,
Bring us back what we've forgot,
Just do your best, we'll do the rest,
And learn until our brains all rot...”

J.K. Rowling
“Can't stay long, Mother," he said. "I'm up front, the prefects have got two compartments to themselves-"
"Oh, are you a prefect, Percy?" said one of the twins, with an air of great surprise. "You should have said something, we had no idea."
"Hang on, I think I remember him saying something about it," said the other twin. "Once-"
"Or twice-"
"A minute-"
"All summer-"
"Oh, shut up," said Percy the Prefect.”

J.K. Rowling
“Ah, music," he said, wiping his eyes. "A magic beyond all we do here!”

J.K. Rowling
“Do you mean ter tell me," he growled at the Dursleys, "that this boy—this boy!—knows nothin' abou'—about ANYTHING?"
Harry thought this was going a bit far. He had been to school, after all, and his marks weren't bad.
"I know some things," he said. "I can, you know, do math and stuff.”

J.K. Rowling
“I believe your friends Misters Fred and George Weasley were responsible for trying to send you a toilet seat. No doubt they thought it would amuse you.”

J.K. Rowling
“Lee Jordan was finding it difficult not to take sides.
'So — after that obvious and disgusting bit of cheating —'
'Jordan!' growled Professor McGonagall.
'I mean after that open and revolting foul —'
'Jordan, I'm warning you —'
'All right, all right. Flint nearly kills the Gryffindor Seeker, which could happen to anyone, I'm sure, so a penalty to Gryffindor, taken by Spinnet, who puts it away, no trouble, and we continue play, Gryffindor still in possession.”

05/01 page 1
0.0% "Mr and Mrs Dursley, of number four Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much. I think it was the 'thank you very much' that made me like this the first time. xD"
05/01 page 12
4.0% "...appeared so suddenly and silently you'd have thought he'd just popped out of the ground. If he apparated, isn't there supposed to be a CRACK? I'm just going to assume for now that Dumbledore knows how to apparate silently. Oh, hey, maybe there's a trick to it. Like if you're good, you can apparate without any noise, and if you're clumsy or in a hurry, you make noise. Like Mundungus Fletcher." 12 comments
05/01 page 15
5.0% ""These people will never understand him! He'll be famous - a legend - I wouldn't be surprised if today was known as Harry Potter Day in future - there will be books written about Harry - every child in our world will know his name!" Oh, Rowling. Just look at this! I can't -- I don't even know what to say."
05/01 page 16
5.0% "So I'm reading this to my seven year old sister. And on page sixteen, when Hagrid arrives, she's like, "lent it me? That's not right." So I said, "Yes, but that's just how he talks." She says, "He probably doesn't know how to spell." Me, "Well, it's Hagrid." Her, "Can I take this to school and read it on the bus?" I guess she likes it! :D" 4 comments
05/07 page 16
5.0% ""Borrowed it, Professor Dumbledore, sir," said the giant, climbing carefully off the motorcycle as he spoke. "Young Sirius Black lent it to me. I've got him, sir." HAGRID! WHY DIDN'T YOU DRAG SIRIUS BlACK ALONG WITH YOU? WHYYY? Everything would've been SO different! " 13 comments
05/09 page 21
7.0% "Harry, who could see a huge Dudley tantrum coming on, began wolfing down his bacon as fast as possible in case Dudley turned the table upside down. Lol, I know Dudley isn't a very likeable character, but at least Harry managed to pick up some survival skills. Hehehe. What? You don't think that's funny? :["
05/09 page 22
7.0% "Every year, Harry was left behind with Mrs. Figg, a mad old lady who lived two streets away. Harry, you poor 11 year old child. Mrs. Figg isn't mad. She's just a witch who's Squib. And that makes her a little sad. But hey, all the old people of the magical world are a bit crazy. Oh right. You don't know that yet. Okay, I forgive you."
05/09 page 22
7.0% "Okay, Harry is the funniest little idiot ever. I haven't been able to read past a page because I keep laughing. Look: Harry knew he ought to feel sorry that Mrs. Figg had broken her leg, but it wasn't easy when he reminded himself it would be a whole year before he had to look at Tibbles, Snowy, Mr Paws, and Tufty again. He just wants to watch television and play games without being bullied."
05/09 page 22
7.0% ""I won't blow up the house," said Harry, but they weren't listening. Well, you do end up blowing up your aunt. OKAY WHY DO I FIND THIS SO FUNNY?"
05/09 page 24
8.0% "Harry's little stories about his hair, and school uniform, and running away from Dudley's gang? I know they're sad, but I find them hilarious! Something is wrong with me."
05/09 page 24
8.0% "Dudley's gang had been chasing him as usual when, as much to Harry's surprise as anyone else's, there he was sitting on the chimney... But all he'd tried to do was jump behind the big trash cans outside the kitchen doors. Harry supposed that the wind must have caught him in mid-jump. Oh, god. I'm gonna die. *wipes tears*" 2 comments
05/09 page 24
8.0% "Aah, here it is. Harry becoming best friends with the snake at the zoo. The poor kid has no idea. AND I'M STILL LAUGHING. WHY?" 28 comments
05/16
10.0% "By the time he was allowed out of his cupboard again, the summer holidays had started and Dudley had already broken his new video camera, crashed his remote control airplane, and, first time out on his racing bike, knocked down old Mrs. Figg as she crossed Privet Drive on her crutches. See, this is why she doesn't like you, Dudley! >:O"
05/16
10.0% "Aunt Petunia burst into tears and said she couldn't believe it was her Ickle Dudleykins, he looked so handsome and grown-up. Harry didn't trust himself to speak. He thought two of his ribs might already have cracked from trying not to laugh."
05/16
10.0% ""Hurry up, boy!" shouted Uncle Vernon from the kitchen. "What are you doing, checking for letter bombs?" He chuckled at his own joke. I CHUCKLED TOO! HEHEHE. But Vernon, you're a real asshole."
05/16
10.0% "With a strangled cry, Uncle Vernon leapt from his seat and ran down the hall, Harry right behind him. Uncle Vernon had to wrestle Dudley to the ground to get the letter from him, which was made difficult by the fact that Harry had grabbed Uncle Vernon around the neck from behind. Vernon, JUST GIVE HIM THE DAMN LETTER. Or someone will threaten you with a pink umbrella."
10.0% ""
05/24 page 67
22.0% "Reading this book in public is impossible. I start smiling, and then every few seconds I giggle. And then I start laughing. Like HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH OH VERNON YOU -- OH HARRY YOU -- OH HAGRID YOU SO FUNNY. Yeah, I get some weird looks from people." 1 comment
02/26 marked as: read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Choco Haleema wrote: ""

Oh, you're rereading too? :D

message 3: by Chan (last edited Mar 26, 2012 11:12PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chan I haven't read it in so long.... Brings back child hood memories... Ahhhh :D
description

Peeves Include me in!

Haleema Palice wrote: "Haleema wrote: ""

Oh, you're rereading too? :D"

Of course! I have all the books just ready to be devoured again!

Choco Hurray! More people! This will be awesome.

message 7: by Heywot (new)

Heywot Count me in as well. If I manage to survive digging through my basement of books for my copy. :)

Choco Oh, you have loads of time to dig for that copy. Don't die - you can do it!

Synesthesia (SPIDERS!) I want to participate. I'm too lazy to find a cool picture but YEAH!

Choco Synesthesia wrote: "I want to participate. I'm too lazy to find a cool picture but YEAH!"

Lol no need for the cool picture. YEAH is good.
YEAAH!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm still in :D.

Choco Yay! :D

message 14: by Chan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chan When is this huge read along happening?

Choco Silent Moon wrote: "When is this huge read along happening?"

May. Beginning of May, I guess.

message 16: by Chan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chan Okay then. Thanks I shall try and read it during that time :)

Choco If May doesn't work for some people, maybe we could try sometime later?

message 18: by Chan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chan I think the major problem is that everyone lives somewhere else and so we might be busy and still working or going to school while others are on their holidays. But I think it should work if we really set our minds to it. :D

oceana I'm doing the same. :P

Choco Oceana Nightfern wrote: "I'm doing the same. :P"

Yay for rereads!

message 21: by Heywot (new)

Heywot YESSSS. May is good. I can dig my way out of my basement by May.

Choco Heywot wrote: "YESSSS. May is good. I can dig my way out of my basement by May."

Haha! Okay, good luck!

Synesthesia (SPIDERS!) I know where mine are!

Choco Synesthesia wrote: "I know where mine are!"

Awesome. I have to get the dust off of mine. I haven't touched them in years!

Choco Sam wrote: "this sounds like fun!"

You want to join? ;)

Choco Well, then we start in two days! With Philosopher's Stone.

Hurray! More people!
:D

Choco Sam wrote: "Palice wrote: "Well, then we start in two days! With Philosopher's Stone.

Hurray! More people!
:D"

Awesome. Where I live May is the start of winter so the Harry Potter books will keep me i..."

:O
That's great! I start summer classes, and a manga re-read, but whatever, I'll make time for this.

Choco Sam wrote: "Good luck with your classes! (: "

Thank you!

Zero vi Britannia A guy's away from GR for a week or two and look what he misses.

Choco Zero vi Britannia wrote: "A guy's away from GR for a week or two and look what he misses."

You haven't missed anything. We've barely even started. Well, I haven't. I don't know where everyone else is...

Zero vi Britannia Palice wrote: "Zero vi Britannia wrote: "A guy's away from GR for a week or two and look what he misses."

Oh thank God. BTW are you on Pottermore?

Choco Zero vi Britannia wrote: "Palice wrote: "Zero vi Britannia wrote: "A guy's away from GR for a week or two and look what he misses."

Eh... no.
Um, I've been wanting to ask someone about that actually. What's it about and how does it work?

Zero vi Britannia Palice wrote: "Zero vi Britannia wrote: "Palice wrote: "Zero vi Britannia wrote: "A guy's away from GR for a week or two and look what he misses."

You haven't missed anything. We've barely even started. Well, I ..."

It's like playing the first three games. There are other things to collect and do outside of the main storyline. I have had problems with it being slow and sometimes not working. But it's amazing! Apparently Chamber of Secrets won't be ready until December. :-(

You haven't missed anything. We've barely even started. Well, I ..."

Oh, and the potion riddle actually works!!! That was the part I was most excited about.

Choco Ahh... I don't know if I should try it.
I feel like it's something silly -- please don't kill me.

You haven't missed anything. We've barely even started. Well, I ..."

And you can get sorted, shop at Diagon Alley, duel (not like in the games though), make potions, etc. Join now.

Zero vi Britannia Palice wrote: "Ahh... I don't know if I should try it.
I feel like it's something silly -- please don't kill me."

It's not silly. Plus it gives more information on characters and the like.
Then again, you could get all that same information on HP wiki
Just join.

Choco XD
Is that an order? JUST JOIN PALICE AND SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Lol, maybe someday when I'm really bored?

Jessica It would be best to join when you're bored because other wise it gets boring kinda fast especially the potions that take hours to make.

Zero vi Britannia Jessica wrote: "It would be best to join when you're bored because other wise it gets boring kinda fast especially the potions that take hours to make."

True

message 41: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary ahaha, i'm trying to read the series in the next 2 months. woo

message 42: by Sean (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sean Let me see you got this from Despicable Me I'v watched the Movie before.

Choco Sean wrote: "Let me see you got this from Despicable Me I'v watched the Movie before."

I'm sorry, I don't understand your comment?

message 44: by Harold (new)

Harold Evems That does not look like Harry

message 45: by Choco (last edited Dec 08, 2013 05:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Choco Harold wrote: "That does not look like Harry"

Who said it's supposed to be Harry? I'm guessing you didn't read the review. It's okay.

Basuhi I still couldn't get my sister to read it but she's absolutely in love with the first movie. Watched it 7 times in the last 2 months. And she still doesn't give the book a chance. Sad days.