Kim Z's Reviews > I Who Have Never Known Men

Sep 20, 07

bookshelves: goodstuff, sci-fi, novels
Recommended for: thinkers/philosophers/learners
Read in September, 2007

The library categorizes this as sci-fi. The situation puts it in that genre, but the story is much simpler. A woman has grown up imprisoned with a group of other women. She has no memory of a world outside their mysterious bunker. The book is the story of a woman learning to think and live without exposure to what most would consider a normal society.

Many reviews say how this book explores "what it means to be human." It does that in a way, but that description makes it sound far more pretentious than this book is. I look at this more as exploring how we become who we are. It also explores what makes things important.

The title and the premise may make this sound like a feminist book. It is not. The superiority, inferiority, or equality of genders is not made an issue. There is only one gender present, so there is only one gender described. I won't say the genders could simply be reversed, but think this book would be meaningful to men as well (as long as they don't get squeamish at the occasional mention of menstruation).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Who Have Never Known Men.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca Balistreri this sounds interesting - the sort of book I enjoy - I'm putting it on my to-read list