Dri's Reviews > Frankenstein

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Feb 22, 10

bookshelves: fiction-classic
Read from January 19 to February 08, 2010

When I first heard about this book, I thought of James Whale's classic Frankenstein from 1931. It was almost impossible for me to imagine a different monster from the square-headed, jutted-browed, side-bolts portrayal from the movie. But unlike, many movie depictions of the souless, mute monster, the monster in this book philosophizes, is eloquent and persuasive. It has been almost 200 years since the 18-yr old Shelley, first penned this novel, but I marvel at how I'm able to connect with many of its themes. Mary Shelley's monster is at once frightening and vulnerable, but more than anything, I'm struck by how emotionally charged this book actually is. Shelley is able to vividly describe familial love and piety, heartbreak, lost of a friendship, guilt, regret, murderous vengeance, and madness in such a way that thoroughly engages the reader's emotion. And, although our scientific knowledge has progressed exponentially since the 1800's (back then some scientists believed electricity ran in our veins and enables "animation" of the soul), that makes the creation of a monster less plausible, the major themes in this book continues to be timeless.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frankenstein.