Lobeck's Reviews > The Miner's Canary: Enlisting Race, Resisting Power, Transforming Democracy

The Miner's Canary by Lani Guinier

Jul 05, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: society-and-politics
Read in July, 2009

The content deserves four stars, but since reading this book was a little like wading knee-deep through a swamp I have demoted it to three stars.

The information was great, and I like the main idea of using a race-conscious lens through which to analyze and then transform social, political and legal structures and power distribution. The breakdown of the different dimensions of power was great and offers a very useful framework to use when discussing and analyzing power.

The downside: the book's major concept of "political race" is not actually defined until about 100 pages in, and even then the definition was not entirely adequate. The book did a lot of describing aspects of the political race project and what it was meant to accomplish, but I am still left with some confusion about what exactly this term means. Other ideas are tediously over-explained. Though the ideas themselves are engaging, the writing is stiff and boring, making this book a chore to read. Given the importance of the ideas in this book, it seems like a more engaging book would be a more effective tool for social change. 'Cause it doesn't matter how spot-on you are if no one reads your book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Miner's Canary.

Mickey My thoughts exactly! Heavy going, but the ideas are important.