Claire S's Reviews > Cuckoo's Egg

Cuckoo's Egg by Clifford Stoll

Jun 24, 09

bookshelves: struggles-of-use, fiction-not-at-all, horror-suspense-mystery-thriller, language, on-writing, psyche-of, science, u-s-hist_military, workplace
Recommended to Claire by: General Awareness.
Read in October, 1990, read count: 1

While it dragged in parts, in fact I remember kind of thinking I'd stop soon, multiple times during it; it always picked up just enough at the last possible minute. And since it's true, you know that the pacing was due to it being.. real life. And in fact, the pacing to me in retrospect was among the more fascinating aspects - this danger.. or this 'situation' even, that kind of recedes; might be over entirely... then it's back! And plans are made and intentions and further learning is gained and there are actions and reactions, and then- it recedes again. I think often life is like that, to an extent that isn't recognized. People think they're going through something new, when actually it's simply another iteration of a long-standing phenomena.

I also liked the guy's humility, and his average-ness, and that he rose to the challenge, in a totally average, annoyed-more-often-than-not, one-step-at-a-time way. And eventually he won.

The reader learns as he learns which is fun also. And some still relevant I believe, the notion of honeypots is quite ongoing in various contexts, for instance.

I haven't re-read this, would be entirely different to read it now. But at the time, that's how it was for me.

By the way, it isn't cool or anything, but I like to give 5 stars. It doesn't mean my entire definition as a human being changed, or that I'm going to take up such a higher magnitude of good works that human suffering will be wiped out in mere weeks; just that I liked it a lot and it was the complete entity, fully-actualized, as much effectively itself as I feel it could be. And I like to look up at skyscrapers too. So there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cuckoo's Egg.