Richard's Reviews > The Case of the Missing Servant

The Case of the Missing Servant by Tarquin Hall

M_50x66
Jun 24, 09

Recommended to Richard by: I read a review.
Recommended for: Mystery lovers; people who like strong characters, excellent dialogue and exotic settings.
Read in June, 2009, read count: 1

I see why Vish Puri can proclaim himself "India's most private investigator" and the reason he has won so many awards: his handling of this case is brilliant. But then, he would not hesitate to tell you all his cases are solved the same way.

The story reads much like an account by John Mortimer about Rumpole of the Bailey.

I found the account of India by Mr. Hall, who lives part time in Delhi, fascinating. If his descriptions are true, you can easily see what many of their problems are. In fact, these are discussed by Mr. Puri and his friends in many places in the story. Unfortunately, like listening to your parents with their friends, there are never any workable solutions arrived at, just complaints about how the old days are gone.

It seems as if the 3 cases being worked on: the missing maid; the fiance who is not quite right and the attempted assassination of our detective are marginal to the rest of the story.

I am not compelled to visit India now, but I will read more of Tarquin Hall's books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Case of the Missing Servant.