Susan's Reviews > Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict

Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler

At the beginning of Laurie Viera Rigler's Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict, modern-day L.A. lady Courtney Stone is nursing a serious heartbreak when she wakes up in Regency-era England as "Jane Mansfield," 30-year old un-married woman in "want of a husband".

Jane's life comes complete with scheming mother, a jealous cousin, and an attractive suitor who is quite possibly a libertine. After a small stint as Jane, Courtney is more than ready to leave Jane, and travel back to her own time - even if it means embracing the heartache she left behind. As the lines blur between Courtney's and Jane's memories, she begins to question her own version of reality and challenge her ideas about what is right and wrong.

Let me begin by giving you a little background on my relationship with this book. After reading Shannon Hale's Austenland, I basically stumbled upon this genre that I'm calling "Austen-esque," and I wanted to read more. I found Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict on Reading Trails, and quickly decided it would be my next "Austen-esque" book. While waiting for my library to fill my request, I read many, many negative reviews for Rigler's book. I almost decided not to read the book, based on those reviews. Had I not read it however, I would have missed out on a lot of fun.

After reading other reviews, I can only speculate that the reviewers missed the fanciful, frivolous fun contained in Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict. The novel really is brain-candy - and taking is more seriously than a "beach-read" type of book is just plain silly. The story is simply delightful, with compelling characters, and a fresh plot.

Easily read in one sitting, Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict manages to capture the spirit of Austen's works without bogging the reader down in heavy details. Don't get me wrong, this is not - I repeat NOT - a Jane Austen novel, and cannot possibly be compared to Austen's classic works. There are many anachronistic moments along the way, as Courtney settles into Jane's life, but the engaging story more than makes up for any historical inaccuracies (this is a novel, and not a work of non-fiction after all.)

Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict was an intriguing, well-written, entertaining read. It is light and frothy and lots of fun, and I would recommend it to anyone (with a sense of humor) who enjoys both Jane Austen and "Austen-esque" novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict.

Quotes Susan Liked

Laurie Viera Rigler
“Be where you are right now. Live your life. You are only hurting your chances by struggling so . . . .”
Laurie Viera Rigler, Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict