Stephanie's Reviews > Before Midnight: A Retelling of "Cinderella"

Before Midnight by Cameron Dokey

Jun 24, 09

Read in July, 2008

This was a very quick read, and a cute book overall. It gave the Cinderella story a little more depth than I previously associated with it: a father overcome with despair, a daughter strong enough to deal with it, and a loving stepmother and stepsisters who helped the daughter realize who she is, who she could be. A large emphasis on the "power of love" and the ability of "love at first sight" (it runs in families, Old Mathilde says). I did find that corny and cliche, but what did I expect? It was Cinderella after all.

Other annoyances? All the characters ALWAYS knew the right thing to say. Always had their thoughts fully formed while speaking. Argh. Of course I don't know how to do that, but I expect few people really know the RIGHT thing to say AT ALL TIMES. Especially if these "right things" are always said in the heat of anger. Few people say the right things then, and Cindrillon and Raoul always say the exact right thing to the people that anger them. It really annoyed me.

Still, I had fun with this book. It was an adventure, learning about Cinderella from a much stronger point of view. That is, Cinderella was a much stronger character. She didn't rely on fairy godmothers, nor was she powerless. She was in full power the whole time. It was nice to see a woman with strength, even if it was too much of the right thing without thinking. I liked it for that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before Midnight.