Kate's Reviews > Mama Day

Mama Day by Gloria Naylor

204590
I'm still processing this book. I may be processing forever. I think it's one of those stories that will continue to haunt me for years to come, thoughts of a slow fall or lavender water popping into my mind when I'm doing the laundry, or protecting Ophelia from the rain.

I don't know what to think about this book because I don't know that it even made me think. But it surely made me feel. I feel sadness. I feel gratitude. I feel love. I feel sentimental and heartbroken over things I shouldn't even think about. I don't want to start a new book because I don't want this one to leave my heart yet. But I don't think it will.

It leaves so much to ponder still. There aren't any answers, and there's so much detail that your mind continues to go back to this or that scene, thinking about what that phrase or this action meant. It also made me dream that Sam had died, which was unsettling. And my dreams dictate how I feel for the day, so I've been a little off lately.

I love that you know from the start what's going to happen at the end of the story, but you spend the whole book learning why you should care.

I suppose I'll save the rest of my thoughts for our book club. It'll be nice to have a little distance from it when we discuss, I suppose. Doesn't necessarily mean I'll be thinking any more clearly, but perhaps my heart will make some sense of it...
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mama Day.

07/06/2009 page 49
14.58% "Okay, I can't believe there's a character named Ophelia and her family calls her Baby Girl. Too too weird. Already magical to me." 2 comments