Carolyn (Book Chick City)'s Reviews > Dead Until Dark

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, book-list-2011
Read from July 18 to 20, 2011

JOINT REVIEW - Originally posted on www.BookChickCity.com

LAURA

"Dead Until Dark" is the story of waitress Sookie who has what she refers to as a 'disability', she can read people's minds. Because of this disability, she struggles with personal friendships & relationships and rarely dates. Nothing worse than knowing what your date is thinking of you!

Living in a small Southern town, Sookie is a mix of endearing naïveté, strong morals and a good share of guts and determination. Working at Sam's bar, she is waitress, and takes pride in her work. Her relationship with her grandmother, whom she lives with is lovely and written with real, believable warmth. And her promiscuous and selfish brother, while infuriating at times is still engaging.

CAROLYN

I agree, all the characters are interesting and quirky. I especially love Sookie - she's a warm, down-to-earth kind of gal and not the type of urban fantasy heroine I'm used to reading. I really like the TV show, but I must say I like the books more.

LAURA

If you watch the TV series, you will notice the distinct absence of best friend Tara in the book, in fact she's not even mentioned. While Sam and fellow waitress Arlene are important friends, Sookie does not have a best friend in the book. This adds to her overall isolation and loneliness, brought about by her telepathic ability.

Then enter vampire Bill. Bill's mind is delightfully and blissfully blank and Sookie is immediately fascinated. But with the arrival of Bill, the town suddenly becomes the victim of a serial killer and young women keep turning up dead. Before she knows it, Sookie ends up caught in the middle of the deadly game.

CAROLYN

I must admit I was put off reading this series basically because of the TV show. I do enjoy 'True Blood' but I've never really got on board with Anna Paquin and I was worried that this would rub off on the books. When I started "Dead Until Dark" I did unfortunately see Paquin as Sookie, but after about fifty or so pages, the Sookie of my own imagination started to push through and I began to enjoy the book a lot more. In fact I had difficulty putting it down.

LAURA

I read the first three books in this series years ago and for some reason didn't get around to reading the subsequent books. Unlike Carolyn, I read them before 'True Blood' hit our TV screens, so I wasn't put off by the TV show. But as I started re-reading them I couldn't help make a few comparisons as I wrote my review.

CAROLYN

I really enjoyed the southern setting and the way that everyone spoke - I'm a big fan of the southern drawl anyway, so it just made this book even more enjoyable for me. The fact that Sookie is just an ordinary girl (apart from her supernatural abilities), working in a bar as a waitress, making an honest living rather than a gun-wielding, martial arts expert, gave this urban fantasy a fresh twist.

LAURA

"Dead Until Dark" is an easy read. Charlaine Harris has a unique writing style, which I really enjoy. She often focuses on the detail, but in a way that adds richness to her story rather than coming across as tedious.

There isn't much to fault with this book, I thoroughly enjoyed it. If I had just have one tiny complaint, I did feel that Sookie and Bill fell in love just a little bit too quickly. I could understand it from Sookie, but maybe not from a several hundred year old vampire.

VERDICT:

CAROLYN: "Dead Until Dark" is a fun and entertaining urban fantasy. It's pretty light compared to some of the other UF series out there, but it's still definitely worth a read. Harris has a great relaxed writing style that made this book a quick and easy read, as well as hard to put down. The characters are great and I look forward to reading the rest of the series.

LAURA: A fun and even delightful supernatural mystery set in a small town in the deep South. Sookie is a refreshing and charming lead character. She's not your normal tough, ass-kicking urban fantasy heroine, but I actually loved her even more because of it. As for the TV show... I much prefer the book! :-)
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Until Dark.

07/20 page 176
06/14 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Kerry  sullivan love this series hope you love it too

Danielle Interested to know what you think of this series.

Samina ~ Escapism~ I read this last year.Gave up after 9 books.LOL

message 4: by Helen (new) - added it

Helen SUCH a great series!!

message 5: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Love these books

Carolyn (Book Chick City) I agree! Great series - I'm up to book #5 now and still loving it :D

message 7: by Jenna (new)

Jenna I think the last few have not been as good as they have been in the past but hoping the next one (released on my birthday) will get Charlaine back on track :)

Kacie I agree with Jenna! I haven't read the most recent boo, but I wasn't too impressed with the book before that. So I really don't feel in a rush to read it... I'll get around to it eventually though. Right now I am trying to remember the last Sookie book I enjoyed, I can't remember but somewhere along the way I definitely started to lose interest