Katieb (MundieMoms)'s Reviews > Ballad: A Gathering of Faerie

Ballad by Maggie Stiefvater

Oct 29, 09

bookshelves: 2009-100-book-challenge, books-i-own
Read in September, 2009

Ballad starts with James and Dee at the private school for musicians. Jame's talent attracts Nuala, who just happens to be a soul snatcher (who's also a faerie muse) who finds and feeds off of those with exceptional gifts. Everyone she's been attracted to dies after she feeds on them. What neither of them excepts is to develop a relationship. I have to say that they both dish up a healthy dose of snarkiness and I love it.

James still has feelings for Dee, who's still grieving over Luke. We do get a few little mentions here and there of Luke. James's biggest worry is the fey are coming for Dee and for Nuala, and for two different reasons. Dee is the cloverhand whom the fey are drawn to and follow. Nuala is cursed to die every 16 yrs only to have to come back and not remember a thing about her last 16 years. She soon learns more about who she really is.

Now James must choose whom he will save as he comes face to face with the Queen of the Fey who wants Dee dead and the Horned King of the Dead as he's looking for his next predecessor.

I liked that some familiar characters were brought back and some lingering questions I had from Lament where answered in Ballad. Just wait till Dee's aunt comes back. She's evil and I knew she was up to no good. I also like the new characters that are introduced, as it seems like they'll be back for the third book. I am looking forward to reading the next story, as there's so much more to explore as Dee, James and those who survive the latest round of attacks from the fey will be dealing with. There's a lot of things that happen in Ballad and wow, I'm looking forward to seeing what the future holds for all of them.

I really liked that most of the book came from James's point of view and the other point of view was from Nuala. James's snarkiness and cockiness are classic (there's just something I like about snarky guys.)!! Nuala can definitely dish it right back to him. I have been so excited to read this book, but something was missing in it for me. I'm not quite sure what it is, as I totally recommend it and I can't wait for the next one!! Over all I liked it, but I wasn't in love with it like I was Lament.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ballad.

Suzanne Miles I actually liked this one better than Lament. The first one moved a little too slowly for me. I thought Ballad had a better flow than Lament