Beejay's Reviews > Love in a Cold Climate

Love in a Cold Climate by Nancy Mitford

Aug 24, 09

Read in August, 2009

Why have I waited so long in my life to read this wonderful little gem? It's just so delicious, a pure delight. A comment on the back cover says it is "... a wickedly funny satire, brilliantly lampooning upper-class society". They don't mention that you will laugh out loud on public transport while reading it, or that you are torn between racing through this confection at high speed it or devouring it slowly to savour and enjoy every little morsel. Highly recommended reading, and I look forward to follow the characters into other of Ms Mitford's works.

8 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love in a Cold Climate.

message 1: by Jon (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jon oh and you got the penguin popular version too? thats what i read

Beejay And doesn't the cover suit it so much? There is so much to enjoy in this - I love Cedric telling Fanny that she's like the Royals and it doesn't matter what she wears because she always looks the same. I love the way her cousins speak "in exclamations". It really is a joy to read, and I'm with you on the follow-ons being a must.

message 3: by Hazel (new)

Hazel Another one for rereading. Yes, the Penguin cover is perfect, isn't it?

Beejay Have you read the others in the series, Hazel?

message 5: by Hazel (new)

Hazel I've read The Pursuit of Love, and I think I liked that too, but it was several years ago, and I don't remember it well.

Julian Fellowes writes witty and funny tales about this particular class of Englishmen and women, both of Mitford's generation and later.