Andrea's Reviews > The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart

Nov 01, 09

bookshelves: read-young-adult
Read in October, 2009

So glad I read this one! It's really deserving of 4.5 stars instead of 4.

In short, Frankie Landau-Banks attends an up-scale boarding school where she is all but invisible. After her freshmen year when she fills out an isn't quite so awkward, seniors (including the boy of her dreams) notices her.

And that is where this story really starts to delve into issues of gender, self-worth, intelligence, fitting in, identity, and society. Heavy topics. Real topics. Topics that deserve exploring. E. Lockhart manages to do it in an interesting and fun way (some of the pranks are wonderfully described)!!!! I think you get what you choose to out of this book - a fun read, a thought provoking read, a call to action.

The style of writing was somewhat off putting at times. Sometimes it flowed very well, and other times I found myself jarred out of the flow of the story because of how something was phrased. Still this is one of those books that I keep thinking about and to me - that's the sign of a good one!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks.