Kristen's Reviews > A Map of the Known World

A Map of the Known World by Lisa Ann Sandell

Jul 05, 09

bookshelves: romance-y, youngadult
Read in July, 2009

I really could not stand the narrator of this book. She went from weeping to happy and helping others, to angry - well, she was just a mess, but it all seemed so flat. Maybe it's just not my kind of book, but the character grated on me.

The saving grace of the book was the involvement in art. I really did like that aspect, the way she could connect to her dead brother through his artwork and her own. I don't like how everything settled so quickly towards the end. Her mom went from evil witch of the west to understanding and kind. Sorry, just don't see it happening.

The writing was well done, but I just could not connect to the character at all and it seemed a little false. Everything was extreme but not. It's hard to describe. I don't dislike a lot of books, but this one really was hard to get through.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Map of the Known World.

07/05/2009 page 273
100%

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Charlotte M. Cora is a freshman girl in high school whose brother just recently died in a car crash. What do you expect her to be besides hormonal?

Kristen True - her voice just grated on me though.

message 1: by Miriam (new)

Miriam The art theme lures me into a lot of books that I don't otherwise care for.