Nisha's Reviews > Natural Born Charmer

Natural Born Charmer by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Oct 05, 11

bookshelves: chick-lit, favorites, to-buy, sports-romance, starstruck, contemporary-romance, re-read
Recommended for: anyone who wants a good romantic comedy
Read in October, 2011

My original review is waaay below, which was written after the first time I read this. But after my 2nd time, more than 2 years later, I think that it's the right time to write an updated review.

I must warn everyone that I am a die-hard Susan Elizabeth Phillips fan. But at the same time, I know how to be critical of her stories when I need to be (really, I have been...for a few of them). This book is sorta an extension of the Chicago stars series, but even Ms. Phillips says that she doesn't really consider it to be. It follows Dean Robillard, the hottest football star on the planet (seriously, he has a face/body of a movie star and a great sense of fashion to match). He happens to play for the Chicago Stars and we get sorta glimpses of Heath and Annabelle (from Match Me if You Can).

Well, Dean happens to be at the crossroads of his life, at 31 and just trying to figure out what its all about (or something to that effect). He comes across a headless beaver, more accurately, our heroine in a beaver costume missing a head. Blue Bailey is a seemingly different sort of SEP heroine. Her vagabond, artsy lifestyle (though not really of her choosing) makes it hard for us to really connect with her, at first. But knowing SEP, she's going to make us fall in love with the characters somehow. Blue is at the lowest point of her life, again. And it doesn't help that the shiny Dean Robillard is the only one around to give her a hand (and more if he can manage). These two look completely opposite to each other, have a lot in common and amazing chemistry to boot. And so continues the book, through the most sizzling, emotion-draining summer for both of them.

I know, I'm not revealing a lot, but I can say that it involves Dean's estranged parents, his half-sister, and a witchy old bat - all in a small town in Tennessee. And I actually really like this small town. Lots of regret and resolutions and good stuff.

I really liked Dean, despite all his flaws. He's a good guy, but he sorta selfish (though not as a lover, so he wins points there). He's been hurt a lot and had a basically unstable childhood, so he works hard to prevent it from happening again - not all that different from Blue. Blue isn't selfish, but she has been uprooted all through her life and has her share of instability. The problem is that she craves for stability but is so afraid to take that chance. They make a great couple, taking the worst (yet funniest) jabs at each other. Honestly, I just wish there was more book for me to read about them.

Overall, I highly recommend this book. It stays true to SEP's formula, but it adds something different into the mix.

-----------------------------------------------------
June 16, 2009
This was the first of her books that I've ever read. Considering how I tend to not enjoy contemporary romances (don't really know why), it was surprising that I even bothered choosing this book. It was a spur of the moment decision (or more like, it was available at my school library and needed a fix). I picked it up last Wednesday, and already, I have finished about 5 of her books.
This has to be one of the best stories ever. The relationship is built beautifully and the humor, I loved it. Dean is simply hot. Blue is a great character that is easy to identify with, despite her strange upbringing and lifestyle. Their interactions are the best. I was cracking up constantly. The secondary love story was also a plus. I'm glad that she always adds another compelling couple in her stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Natural Born Charmer.

10/02/2011 page 14
4.0% "Can someone suggest the model for Dean Robillard?"
10/04/2011 page 227
57.0% "As per usual, Dean is being a selfish b*tch. Poor Blue, but at the same time, she chooses to stay. Still, they're hilarious together."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I'll have to pick this one up next time I see it. It didn't get my attention when I saw the blurb, but your review has me thinking I'll enjoy it.

Nisha I really enjoyed this one. It's surprisingly good. It's one of those books that the characters take awhile longer than usual to capture your heart. For example, Blue is a nice heroine, but we don't really understand much about her to really get enough of a reading on her, until you realize that she's just as kooky as one of us (nearly 1/4 of the way through). Dean is generally hot and cocky, but unlikeable because he is emotionally retarded because of his "iternate" childhood. But there are little pockets when you see into his mind that you can't help but love him, even with all his flaws.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) That makes me want to read it even more. Thanks, Nisha!

Nisha no problem. :)