Alyson Dickerman's Reviews > Let the Right One In

Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Jun 25, 09

Read in June, 2009

This is one of the most disturbing books I have ever read, and I simply loved it. My friend Rachel (she of the superior book reviews) couldn't finish it, and we were talking about a course she wants to take that deals with Vampires and Saints. Well, this is a perfect book for that course. There are so many levels to this many stories and perspectives that really appealed to me even when they didn't. I love the whole idea of the darkness that inhabits all of us, and what is it that we would truly do for love or something like it? To feel that we belong to something or someone so fully that it just feels right? This is my basic reading of the novel. A deeper, more critical reading lends itself to the baseness of human nature. That thing that is the Other, unknowable part of self that has no basis in the darkness I spoke of earlier. It is something more primal that stretches itself across the lines of Sinner and Saint. How I understood Oskar in his loneliness, his anger, his sense of desolation. How I understood Eli's desire for normalcy and stability and a sense of being "good". An astonishing book.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let the Right One In.