Carolyn (Book Chick City)'s Reviews > Kitty Takes a Holiday

Dec 25, 12

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, book-list-2011, reviewed-by-carolyn
Read from May 27 to 29, 2011

I gave this 7/10 on my blog

"Kitty Takes A Holiday" is my favourite book in the series so far. It's really action packed and I feel that Kitty is ever so slowly (emphasis on slowly) moving towards being an independent, strong woman.

Kitty takes some time away from her call-in radio show, The Midnight Hour, to relax and try and write her memoirs - as Kitty is quite young and has only been a werewolf for a couple of years, I thought this was a bit premature - but she buys a little cabin in the middle of nowhere and of course it ends up being the holiday from hell.

Kitty is terrorised by an unknown entity who is cursing her with dead animals which they leave on her doorstep or hanging from tree branches. I must say I was rather surprised that this frightened Kitty so much, considering she's a big bad werewolf an' all. In the first book, 'Kitty and the Midnight Hour', her life was threatened by Cormac, a werewolf hunter, live on her radio talk-show and she really didn't bat an eye.

There is a little inconsistency with Kitty's character as she's very submissive and yet can be dominant at the same time. She cowers from certain people only to then throw herself into danger. She's also dominant sexually, which doesn't add up with her submissive nature as a werewolf. Kitty is a bit of a paradox.

But as with the two preceding books I can't help but like her. She's quite sassy in her own way and I am liking her more with each book.

There's also a bit of a shift regarding the romantic dynamics. I'm not sure I like where Kitty is going romantically but it was definitely a twist I didn't see coming. There's also one character who gets bitten and is now a werewolf, which Kitty has adopted and has taken on as her 'pack'.

I loved seeing the caring side of Kitty. She has a lot of compassion and as she only knows too well, being turned is hard enough, but being turned against your will is almost soul destroying. But Kitty steps up to the plate and is there through the entire process and I liked her all the more for it.

This third instalment is a fast read and a really good addition to the series. I love that Cormac is still very much part of Kitty's life, even though it's not in the way I want it to be. The author writes great action and it's really this that keeps me turning the pages.

VERDICT:

Overall "Kitty Takes a Holiday" is a really great read; exciting, full of action and brimming with lively and interesting personalities. I'm looking forward to seeing what's next in store for Ms Norville in 'Kitty and the Silver Bullet'.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kitty Takes a Holiday.

05/29/2011 page 159
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Audrey Great review I liked this book as well, and yes I agree with Cormac and the whole romance thing, the end of the book left me shaking my head a little.

Carolyn (Book Chick City) Thanks! Overall I did enjoy this series, but it's not my favourite urban fantasy, but I would definitely recommend them. And yes, the whole Cormac/Kitty/Ben situation didn't sit well with me - oh well *sigh* ;)