Anna's Reviews > The Music of Dolphins

Jun 23, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, young-adult, read-in-2009
Read in June, 2009

I kind of went back and forth on this one but in the end I'm settling on 3 stars. I thought parts of the book were incredibly engaging and some of the writing was amazing. There were moments where it was tough to put the book down and when I did I'd basically be asking myself a ton of questions about who we are as people and what makes someone human. I think Hesse does a beautiful job of young adults (the audience for this book) to ask questions about who we are and what it means to be human. I could see this novel driving some wonderful class discussions.

But at the same time I felt like there were way too many moments where my mind would start to wander... and I'm an adult who loves to read! Some parts of the book were boring and I thought Mila still came off as fairly one-dimensional, even though she was the one telling the story. I had to reread portions because I'd find that I had read 10 pages or so and then I'd realize, "Oh, crap, I have no idea what I read!" I wanted to care but there were a few moments here and there that were not so engaging and I think that might cause problems for kids.

I read this because we'll be using it with our sixth graders this year in Reading class. I am definitely excited to discuss some of the issues that i mentioned but I am very curious to see what they'll think of the book overall.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Music of Dolphins.

06/23/2009 page 60