Elaine's Reviews > When Kids Can't Read-What Teachers Can Do: A Guide for Teachers 6-12

When Kids Can't Read-What Teachers Can Do by Kylene Beers

Jun 23, 09

bookshelves: teaching, women-authors

This is now my Bible. It's amazing. It gives so many suggestions to teachers who have kids who struggle with reading. I'd recommend this for any English teacher (even high school English teachers-- because, as Dr. Beers points out, there are many upper-grade students who have trouble reading because no one has yet taught them how to do it). But I'd also recommend it for teachers of any subject, along with parents, aunts, uncles, and anyone who is around children or has the least bit of interest in education. Dr. Beers opened up my eyes to so many problems that kids have that I never even considered. I seriously cried at the end of it. I never do that with a book. Here's a sample of some of the progressive and influential advice she gives:

"Teaching to a single test requires little effort on our part, but such teaching gives students a diminished educational experience. Instead, we want to create lifelong learners who embrace curiosity, who enjoy analyzing ambiguity, and who view education as a journey that isn't about offering the single correct answer but instead is about asking the thoughtful question."

Wow. Just, wow.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Kids Can't Read-What Teachers Can Do.