Tim's Reviews > Divisadero

Divisadero by Michael Ondaatje

Dec 20, 09

Read in December, 2009

Proof that one can pull off a book-length prose poem and not lose narrative momentum, so long as one embraces the collage or montage form as Ondaatje does, sometimes self-consciously, sometimes not (pretty much organic either way though). Montage form seems true to actual experience. Why is it not more used? Can anyone recommend more books that work this way?
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divisadero.

message 1: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel There's always more Ondaatje, obviously-- I liked Billy the Kid better than the others I've read.

Anne Carson, maybe?

Then there are collagists like Renata Adler and Abigail Thomas. Much closer to memoir, though, and probably not what you're looking for.

Barthelme.

Also, I really, really enjoyed Eisenstein's essays, especially Film Form. Really good on the subject of montage (as you would expect).

message 2: by Tim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tim Adler's work is great, particularly Speedboat (I used to be a devotee of Pitch Dark but now think of it more as a work-in-progress that got published, fascinating but flawed). I don't know Abigail Thomas at all, so will check her out.

I'm about to teach Barthelme's 60 Stories.

Steven Millhauser is another one who uses this to effect, especially in a story like "A Game of Clue."

message 3: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel Safekeeping is the Thomas book I've read, BTW.