Jack Kirby and the X-man's Reviews > Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me: Miniature Edition

Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me by Eric Carle

U 50x66
Aug 25, 09

bookshelves: 1980s, 2009, author-us, childrens, science, fiction, library_book, must-read-list-ny-public-library-10
Recommended to Jack Kirby and the X-man by: New York Public Library
Read in August, 2009

I generally am not a huge fan of Eric Carle - but he does do the novelty book well. The little-finger-sized holes in The Very Hungry Caterpillar were true genius - and in this book he takes the fold-out-page to another level.

I also like the text-to-picture sizing - with 95% of the page taken up by illustrations.

It could be a really useful book to start a conversation about the moon and astronomy in general.

What I don't really like is the plot - which is, like most of Eric Carle's books, paper thin. Promoting the ideal that you will get everything you request - no matter how outlandish - risks a very real possibility of finding yourself with a child browsing Forbes magazine's list of the world's most expensive toys - or even worse responsible for a pony!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me.