Nightfalltwen's Reviews > The Gargoyle

The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson

Jul 02, 09

bookshelves: fiction
Read in July, 2009

I say this about a lot of good books sometimes, but usually the moment I finish one that completely wows me I come up with something along the lines of how there just aren't enough words in the world to describe how much I truly loved this book.

The Gargoyle had such an interesting storyline. And stories upon stories within the story. I loved every minute of reading it and I was almost saddened when I got to the end because it ended and I knew I wasn't going to have any more of the book to read. And I know that sounds silly, but the story completely drew me in.

At first I worried about the narration. It was told in first person by the main character, but then Marianne telling the story of their past lives was told from her point of view. But yet almost as though she was this omniscient narrator of the two people she was telling the story about. I know that sounds confusing, but once you're drawn into the book as a whole, you don't really think much about it.

I love, love, love Andrew Davidson's style of writing. I adored all the different aspects of the novel. I loved the snake and how its voice was conveyed in interruptions in the narrative. I loved the trip to the underworld. I loved everything about this novel.

The Gargoyle has quickly jumped into one of my top fives. It's truly, truly amazing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gargoyle.

06/23/2009 page 49