JW's Reviews > The Dark Volume

The Dark Volume by Gordon Dahlquist

Sep 05, 09

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in June, 2009

Go find my review of The Glass Books.... This is pretty much the same. The pacing is better, the show has caught up to the tell a bit and there's more inter-protagonist drama, but this is the same author continuing the story.

That's not a negative, just the way it is. If you enjoyed Glass Books, you'll enjoy the Dark Volume. I did, however I was a bit disappointed that they left the door open for a third one. But the time I got toward the end I was a little over the overblown writing and even MORE new characters to replace some that didn't survive Glass Books. But I read Dark Volume not long after Glass Books, so if there IS a third book (Dahlquist needs to earn out a huge advance) I might benefit from a break.

I'm also pretty well convinced that Dahlquist is a dude version of Jacqueline Carey, the Contessa di Lacquer-Sforza reminded me more and more of Melisande Shahrizai with every appearance. They're not identical fortunately, Melisande never gets mad, but they're both beautiful, bewitching bullying bitches.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Volume.