Marni's Reviews > The Zookeeper's Wife

The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman

Sep 11, 2007

Read in November, 2007

Diane Ackerman is one of my all time favorite non-fiction authors. Her Natural History of the Senses my favorite non fiction book. So when I discovered that her newest title was about a topic that I was always fascinated with--ordinary people rescuing the persecuted during the Holocaust--I was quite interested. Would her delicious use of vivid and literary language work with a dark topic as World War II? Her descriptions of the Zabinski's lives as they fought to survive and help other people and animals survive are rich and colorful. And her accounts of the world outside the zoo walls equally as rich. It was an interesting juxtaposition between the two worlds. The book did drag at parts as Ms. Ackerman either went off on a tangent I wasnt interested in or focused too much on something else I wasnt interested in. I did realize though that since the book was put together largely from journals and diaries that it had more of a diary format to it and moved along in that kind of pace. Learning about the animals in the zoo and whether they would survive the war was just as interesting as reading about the people.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Zookeeper's Wife.